The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund supports litigation involving significant legal issues relating to the right to keep and bear arms.
Among the Fund's activities are:
- Defense of persons charged with criminal violations of federal, state, and local laws that prohibit the acquisition or possession of firearms by peaceful and honest Americans
- Civil challenges to federal, state, and local laws that prohibit a law-abiding citizen or class of citizens from possessing or using firearms
- Opposition to unlawful forfeitures of firearms seized by federal, state, or local authorities in violation of the Fifth or Fourteenth Amendments
- Civil actions against federal, state, and local authorities who, while enforcing unfair gun laws, violate citizens' rights under the First, Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Fourteenth Amendments
- Challenges to administrative interpretations of federal, state, and local laws that infringe the right to keep and bear arms guaranteed by the Common Law, the Constitution of the United States, or the constitutions of various states
- Challenges to administrative actions denying or restricting a citizen's right to possess or carry firearms.
For more information on the types of cases accepted by the Fund, please click here.